After reading Chapter 3B: Selected Economic Policy Issues – Poverty from Economic Justice for All and the supplemental readings, post your thoughts in the comments section regarding the discussion questions below.
US Poverty – Issue Brief 2014 (US Department of Health & Human Services)
The War on Poverty (US News & World Report)
Who’s poor in America? (Pew Research Center)
- While lower than what it was in 1964 (19%), when President Lyndon Johnson launched the War on Poverty, the current poverty rate (14.5%) is significantly higher than it was at its lowest point in 1973 (11.1%). What do you think is the cause for the lack of progress in reducing poverty in the United States?
- Why are some groups – racial minorities, children, female-headed families – especially hard-hit by poverty?
- What myths and misconceptions about the poor have you witnessed in your community?
- What can be done in your parish to assist the poor?
- How can you enable the poor to help themselves?
- How can you address the deeper causes of poverty through public advocacy and through the political process?